Background Story: I wouldn't say I had great skin all my life, my skin was fairly average a few breakouts and residual acne scars here and there during my teenage years... nothing to cry a river for, fast track to November 2010 my skin simply started acting crazy; painful cystic acne that normal drugstore products could not control.I knew I needed professional help so in early 2011 I decided to visit a popular dermatologist, and I was prescribed pills and proprietary blend of topicals, these products worked to some extent but in order to get long lasting results I would probably have to keep going to get prescriptions for the rest of my life .As the months turned into years I would still get outbreaks of acne but to be honest I wasn't necessarily worried about the pimples I was more concerned with the scarring that each pimple left behind, fast forward to summer of last year I was in my mid twenties and was at my wits end with all the bumps and scars it was at this time that I found out the true root cause of my acne and discovered products that started to work wonders for my skin. In the pictorial you can see the how much my skin has changed in six months and although I have a long way to go I'm very satisfied.
Products/Daily Routine; I purchased a few products from Jencare Skin farm at the recommendation of my friend who had experience with their skincare line. The products I got are all in the image below:
- I cleanse my face with the Jencare Translucent Face and Body Glycerine Collagen soap twice a day however lately I've been using the Cetaphil Cleanser in the mornings since there would be less impurities on my face at that time. These two products are the only cleansers I use on my face they are not harsh, nor do they strip or irritate my skin.
- After cleansing my face I follow up with the Jencare Pimple Defense Astringent( from the picture you can see that I need a new one stat).This work like any other astringent however it doesn't have the harsh alcohol in its composition. It has active ingredients such as rosemary, sage thyme, lactic acid etc. which treats the pimples and spots
- The Nexjen Acnecare was my skin saviour during my active acne months. It served as my moisturizer and also helped to address the pimples and spots on my face.This is also packed with natural ingredients such as tumeric, and aloe vera. I wont be purchasing a refill of this product as my acne is now under control, nevertheless its an excellent product for acne prone skin
- On occasions when I have a breakout (which I still get although its minimal) I apply the DM cream which significantly reduces the size of the pimple in a day or two.
- The Jencare cream '100%' and '1330' I use on a day to day basis to alleviate the hyperpigmentation and scarring left behind and they have been doing a fabulous job,I introduced these creams into my regime after I got the bumps under control. The only difference between the two creams is that the '100%" is more concentrated and works faster.
- My Giovanni D:tox System Purifying Facial mask I use several times a week, this has become my holy grail mask since I got it last summer.Its hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic and contains volcanic ash, charcoal and antioxidants,it has helped to improve the overall texture of my skin and also leaves my skin feeling soft and supple.
- In order to get rid of dead skin cells and to brighten up my face overall I have been using a DIY sugar and honey scrub weekly, which also leaves my skin feeling smooth and youthful.
The root cause of my acne was primarily hormonal and so in addition to all the products used above I have been taking a low dose oral contraceptive to help my severe case.Please note that if you do decide to take them consult your general practitioner before doing so and in no way shape or form am I saying run and stock up on contraceptives as what works for me may not work for you.I am however researching natural ways to stablize my hormones as long term use of oral contraceptives can be detrimental to a woman's health.
In conclusion I know my skin is not perfect and so when my spots are sufficiently faded I will eventually do peels or microdermabrasion to get it in optimal condition. Its important to also mention that as much as I love makeup I wear it maybe 3% of the time, if you happen to see me out you would see me flaws and all because I'm confident enough to do so...my skin imperfections do not define me. In addition if you are currently struggling with acne I suggest that you decipher the root cause of the problem.Ensure also that you change/wash your pillowcases and your hair bonnet often,sanitize your cell phone, drink more water, use sunscreen,and try to avoid stressful situations although this maybe easier said than done. I hope my story was helpful
Be positive and good luck on your journey